It occurs to me that our church is capable of making New Year’s Resolutions, too. If the church could write out a list of ways to improve in the coming year, what might be on that list? Here are some of my thoughts:
- A CHURCH THAT IS NON-DENOMINATIONAL . . . Striving to restore the organization, doctrine, and worship of the Church of the New Testament.
- A CHURCH WITH NO CREED BUT THE BIBLE . . . Exalting Christ as the only Head of the church, and His Gospel as the only source of authority and doctrine. We believe the New Testament contains the complete authority of Christ with no adding or taking away (Galatians 1:87) (Revelations 22:18-19).
- A CHURCH WITH NO NAME BUT A BIBLE NAME . . . Just a local congregation of people called Christians, who are striving to be one of the “churches of Christ” (Romans 16:16).
- A CHURCH THAT DOES NOT EXALT MEN . . . Our preachers wear no distinguishing title nor dress. Christ is to have all preeminence in the church which is His body (Colossians 1:18).
- A CHURCH WHOSE MEMBERS ARE NOT PERFECT . . . We realize that all have personal weaknesses and imperfections, but believe in the all-sufficiency and perfection of Christ’s plan for His church (Romans 3:23) (Romans 6:23).
- A CHURCH WITH NO AMUSEMENT TO DRAW CROWDS . . . Our worship and Bible classes are conducted in a simple and spiritual way, attempting to following the pattern of the New Testament. We believe that most are looking for spiritual education, rather than entertainment (John 4:21-24).
- A CHURCH THAT PLEADS FOR UNITY BASED ON THE BIBLE . . . Members of the churches of Christ are pleading and working for unity rooted in the Bible, the divine Word of God (1 Corinthians 1:10).
- A CHURCH THAT TEACHES THE BIBLE PLAN OF SALVATION . . . When Peter and the apostles preached the Gospel on the day of Pentecost, those believers were baptized for the remission of sins and added by the Lord to His church (Acts 2:38) (Acts 2:41) (Acts 2:47). The plan of salvation as taught in the 1st century is still God’s plan for salvation for men in the 21st century!
- A CHURCH THAT INVITES YOUR INVESTIGATION . . . We have no loyalty to a creed or tradition or manual, and welcome all to search the Scriptures and see whether what is taught and practice4d is in full accord with what you learn from God’s Holy Word (Acts 17:11).
- A CHURCH THAT WORSHIPS ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK . . . We will be singing together as a congregation (Ephesians 5:19). Men will be leading in prayer (Acts 2:42) (Acts 6:13). A sermon will be delivered from God’s Word (Acts 20:7). Members of the church will give in the contribution as prospered (1 Corinthians 16:1-2). (Our guests are not asked nor expected to give). There will be the observance of the Lord’s Supper, a memorial meal established by Christ our Lord (Matthew 26:26-28). (Again, our guests are not expected to participate). This memorial meal consists of unleavened bread and the fruit of the vine (grape juice).
If this appeals to you, and we hope that it will, won’t you visit us soon and investigate the CHURCH OF CHRIST and its teachings (Romans 16:16). Examine whether or not what is preached is true (1 Thessalonians 5:21). Observe that everything is done decently and in order in our assemblies (1 Corinthians 14:40).
You will find a warm and cordial welcome awaits you at all of our services. Please come and be our welcome guest this Sunday and every Sunday. We have Bible classes at 9:30 a.m., morning worship at 10:20 a.m., and afternoon worship service at 12:30 p.m. Every Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. we have Bible study.